Wednesday, December 2, 2009

First things first...

The number one thing that I am asked about transcription is how to get started. I will give you my story about how I got started one day coming up soon...promise! But until then I thought I would direct you to some key sources for transcriptionists.

I could not transcribe Express Scribe. This tool is FREE and it is what transcribers use to play audio files. It's absolutely awesome and most transcribers use it. With it you can stop, rewind, fast-forward, slow down the files, enhance the audio with special features, and so much more. If you're starting out in this field you definitely want this tool!

I also want to direct you to a forum that helped me to get started - Transcription Essentials. The information on this board will help you to get started. Just check out the forum and Basics folder - but be sure to read the rules about posting and participation. I can't thank these wonderful ladies and gentlemen (there are a few there) for their support throughout my transcription career. The networking on that site is awesome!

And I do want to reiterate from my previous post that there are different kinds of transcription and two of them do not require experience! That's right. There is more than just medical transcription. You can also get involved in general and legal transcription. If you have great grammar skills and are a fast typist then I would give it a go. There are some volunteer opportunities available on the Transcription Essentials so that you can build up resume and gain experience if you choose though.

I will be offering some other resources and references to books that I have found helpful in upcoming posts. Also, I will be offering a course to help those that are interested in getting started in this field and prefer one-on-one learning. I will give more details about that in the future as well.

Well, that is all for today. If you do have any questions about getting started please feel free to leave a comment and I will do my best to help.

No comments:

Post a Comment